Town of Sutton, NH

26 Grist Mill Street Committee

Meeting Minutes of October 17, 2019


Members present:  Dane Headley, Chair, Don Davis, Glenn Pogust, Bob DeFelice, Andy Jeffrey and Betsy Forsham.

Call to order:  Chair Dane Headley called the meeting to order at 4:02 p.m. 

Previous meeting minutes: It was moved by Bob, seconded by Glenn and unanimously approved to approve the minutes of October 10, 2019 as written.


Muster Field Farm Museum – Bob reported that he is waiting to hear back from the town’s insurance company, Primex, regarding insuring the hearse at MFFM.  We would then involve town counsel in drawing up some kind of a contract regarding the terms by which it would be housed in the garage at the farm.


Demolition estimates – Members discussed demolition of the buildings and compared the three estimates received.  Betsy reported that she spoke with the company who installed the foam insulation in the house basement and they said it was not toxic and could go in the dumpster or be buried.  However, members felt that attempts should be made to peel off as much as possible before the foundation is back filled.

 – On going cost figures – Glenn reported on various figures as follows:

   – Electric bills – $20-$40 /month depending on the season with an estimate of $450/year.   

   – Propane – keeping the house heated at 50 degrees would take approximately 600 gals. with an             

      estimated cost of $1,445/year.

    – Insurance – Glenn has a call in to Primex, the town’s insurance company, to rate the house.      

    – Painting contractors – he’ll contact two painting contractors prior to the next meeting.

Members were in agreement that we should get two more contractor bids.  Betsy and Andy both agreed to contact someone and will let Dane know if they are unsuccessful.  Some members would like to get more estimates on the roof replacement cost – the estimate we received seemed high.  Members proceeded to revise the contractor specs down to two items.  Betsy will send them to the contractor whose estimate we do have, requesting updates to his figures.


Parking Area/Park – Bob distributed his revised plans of our scenarios, labeled 1-b and 3-b.  Members discussed some possible modifications including a slanted entrance off Main St. for 1-b, as shown on 3-b, moving the proposed parking spaces in 1-b away from Main St. so folks don’t back into it, how building up the elevation from the street on to the property might harm the big maple tree, etc.  It was agreed that these plans could be distributed to site contractors when soliciting estimates.  It was also agreed that specifics such as lighting, fencing and landscaping do not need to be part of our charge.  These things can be decided by another entity (Parks and Recreation Dept., Select Board, a new committee, etc.) after the decision is made at town meeting as to which scenario to pursue.  Glenn wondered about electric service and if the cost would be the same regardless of which scenario gets approved.  It was thought by the majority that service could be taken from the barn and put on a board/pedestal in the yard until plans have been finalized. Bob felt we need to determine specific measurements for the plans as well as determining exact property lines.

–  Old maple tree in front of house – Tom Wilkins/Silver Bear, arborist, arrived to view tree with members.  He explained the rooting system of such an old tree and noted the crown size usually determines the spread of the roots. He opined that the further we can stay away from the tree the better.  He noted that there is already some rot in the center of the crown. Even if the tree is injured by a driveway installation, it would take several years to see the effects.  He was thanked for his time.


Specs for site contractors – After further discussion, it was decided that the following would be sufficient for site work estimates: Cost per SF to install bluestone driveways and parking areas as shown on Plans #1-b or #3-b. Betsy agreed to send this out, accompanied by copies of the plans.


– Glenn offered to create a cost template into which we could insert the various cost figures as we get them.  All agreed that this would be very helpful.


Meeting dates going forward – It was agreed that we could hold the final public hearing on Thursday, Nov. 21 at 7:00 p.m., with a snow date of Nov. 26, during which we will present what the committee intends to recommend to the Select Board and ultimately to  the town at town meeting.  Members also decided on future meeting dates, which will be conducted on Tuesdays, due to unavailability of Betsy and Dane on some of the Thursdays later this month.  New meeting dates are as follows – Tuesday, Nov. 5, 12 and 19 at 4:00 p.m.  Betsy will verify with Elly Phillips that there are no conflicts with these dates.                   


Next Meeting date: 

 The next meeting will be held on Tuesday, Nov. 5 @ 4:00 p.m.



There being no further business to conduct, it was moved by Glenn, seconded by Andy and unanimously approved to adjourn at 5:53 p.m.


Respectfully submitted,


Betsy Forsham

Recording Secretary