What help should the town give?

Towns and cities are required to provide financial assistance for basic necessities such as food, shelter, rent, mortgage payments, heat, lights, gas, water, necessary clothing, transportation and prescriptions. Basic telephone service may be paid if necessary for health and safety reasons.

Towns must also help with “maintenance” items such as paper products, household supplies, diapers, etc. Towns should pay security deposits if necessary to obtain housing. Necessary medical costs should be paid if there is no other way to obtain essential medical services.

The town may decide that a certain expense, such as a car payment, is not necessary. This may happen when a reasonable lower cost option is available, such as public transportation.

For details click here.